Thursday, May 26, 2016

Green thumbs

"Long time no see", and that's a fact. 
I have been absent for quite a while. 
Not that I couldn't have posted about something, 
but I thought nothing was worth while writing about.
Now, gardening is important, at least it is important to me. 
That's what has happened:
This year my gardening season started early in March. 
That was possible because we stayed at home this winter.
I soon found out, it was not early enough. 
I should have started some of the seedlings in February already. 
Well, that will be the plan for another spring.
As I said, I stared out in March. 
Searching the internet I found several "hacks" that I tried. 
One was this: glue tiny seeds on kitchen paper or toilet paper and be ready when the season starts. Just a little dab of flour/water paste keeps the seed in place. 
After several hours of drying the seed rolls were marked and stored in an empty coffee container. Ready to roll out when the time is right.
I was very lucky to get 2 special small green houses this spring. 
They are a generous  gift from one of my neighbours. 
Thanks to that it was very easy to keep the tiny plants 
warm and cosy during the cold winter days.
In April I started out in the out door green house, that hubby build for me last fall. 
Some of the plants survived the cold nights there under an extra layer of plastic 
and on top of a heating mat. 

Now, at the end of May things are really looking somewhat like a nursery.
Lots of vegetables and annuals are crowding for space. 
Our camper awning was re-used for shading the new plants. 
They easily can get sunburned.
I also created new window boxes from last years plants 
that over-wintered well in our house. 
See, that's were I found out that I could have started out in February.
That way the plants would be blooming already by now.
Now I have to wait another couple of weeks 
before I see the flowers.
Others plants are already transplanted into the garden beds. 
This year I use a fabric cover to keep out the beetles and 
protect the young plants from the still cool nights. 
Tomatoes, melons, beans and corn have to wait until the middle of June. 
They stay inside the green house for another couple of weeks.
Better play "it safe than sorry."
All in all it has been fun and that's how it should be. 

More about my "hacks" and the results in a different posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment.